Saturday, January 29, 2005

My Blog

"What's my blog going to be about?" I wondered out loud as I burned my hand on the tea kettle. Would it be a place for fellow culinarians to gather and discuss the latest trends in cooking? Perhaps. Would it a utopian haven where ideas and recipes could be shared freely? Perhaps. Or will it be a place for me to bitch about how hard it is to find a reasonably priced copy of the El Bulli book? Or the rest of Culinaria (Konemann) Series that my collection is lacking? Yes, let's bitch about the books, at least for a minute. If I wanted to order the El Bulli book from Spain, not only would it cost me about 140 Euros to purchase but another 50 Euros to ship. With the Euro at roughly 1.50 to our dollar, that's a lot of damn dollars. If I wanted to buy a copy here, I can expect to pay anywhere from $250.00 ( a bargain by the looks of it) to as much as $400.00 (not quite the bargain). Yes, this book may be the holy grail of all food books (I don't call it a cookbook because it's so much more than that), but $300.00 is way too much to pay. Especially when one (me) doesn't have money falling out of his ears. You know you're not rich when you think that buying a box of frosted flakes to look for a giant flake to sell on ebay (there's one going for well over a hundred dollars right now) is a good idea. Sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home